Morning my lovely Year 4,
I am looking forward to seeing you all as always this morning, I have attached the link for our first live lesson this week(our English session) to this post.
I hope you all had a lovely weekend with your families and remember to keep being the best that you can be.
You have made me so proud this term Year 4 and you have adapted really well to our online tasks and live lessons.
We have 4 live sessions again this week. The days and times are shown below:
- Monday - English Session 10.30 a.m.
- Tuesday - Wellbeing catch-up 10.30 a.m.
- Thursday - Maths Session 9.30 a.m.
- Friday - Wellbeing catch-up 9.30 a.m.
If you need any help with your log-in details or any of the activities, please let me know.
Well done to Rowan for the home learning award this week for putting 100% effort into all tasks and interacting so well in our live lessons. I was very impressed with your interview with Gareth Bale too. Ardderchog!
I am available every day from 9.00 a.m. - 3.30 p.m. to reply to your messages or e-mails and mark your fantastic work. If you message me or send your work after this time, I may not reply until the next morning (or Monday if it is on the weekend). Try not to complete your tasks too late or on the weekend, it is really important for you to have special time with your family too.
This week and the first week after half-term are our Welsh heritage weeks, they will build on what we have already learnt about Wales during our topic.
We will be exporing the heritage of Merthyr (focusing on Cyfarthfa Park and Castle) and our Welsh sporting heroes of the present day (we have been given the sport of swimming to focus on).
Cyfarthfa Park and Castle
* Plan your leaflet - In our English live lesson, we will explore the features of posters and leaflets.
We are going to plan our leaflet on Cyfarthfa Park and Castle.
You can write inside the circles on Google docs (by clicking inside the circle, you can then edit it in the drawing tool).
Try to include one section on Cyfarthfa Park/Castle in the past, one to advertise how it is now and one to inform people of their future plans. Your Title for the leaflet can be added to the middle circle and the other 4 circles can include your sub-headings as well as key information for each section. You will be able to use this to help you create your leaflet after half-term. (Google Classroom)
* Persuasive techniques - AFOREST techniques help to persuade the reader to visit the place that you are advertising/informing them about.
Explore the persuasive techniques on the powerpoint and match the examples linked to Cyfarthfa Park and Castle to the techniques used.
These will be really useful for your leaflet. It will be fantastic if you can add your own examples too. (Google Classroom)
* Time Travel detectives - I would like you to become Time Travellers and create a picture of what Cyfarthfa Park and Castle looked like in the past and how you think it will look in the future.
You can do this by creating a collage (using a variety of materials), a drawing, painting, 3d model etc.
I would love to see photos of them. (Google Classroom)
* Maths - I will set you a task linked to data handling - pictograms and bar graphs on Wednesday before our live lesson and then another on Thursday after our live lesson.
* Wordsearch - Find the vocabulary linked to swimming in our wordsearch. (Google Classroom)
* Create your own swimmers - Purple Mash
* Swimming Google Slides - As part of our Welsh heritage week, swimming is the sport that we will be exploring.
We are going to be creating a Google slides over two weeks. You will need to access your task after half-term as you are going to add to it.
This week we are going to:
- create a front cover (linked to Welsh swimmers)
- create your 2nd slide which is going to be all about your experiences of swimming. I would love to know where you go swimming (when it is safe to go), you can include photos of you swimming (in lessons, on holidays) etc.
- create your 3rd slide all about the health benefits of swimming and why it is so important.
Safer Internet Day 2021
*We all know how important it is to keep ourselves safe on the internet.
Tuesday 9th September is Internet Safety Day.
Should Tony meet up with the gamer that he has met online?
Create a poster to give advice on what we can do to keep ourselves safe online.
Set on Purple Mash.
*Science - I will set a link on Tuesday to a live lesson on Youtube on Sustainability: Is plastic fantastic? (It lasts for 30 minutes)
Discover the science behind making plastics, explore the positives and negatives of this material in our society and learn how scientists and environmentalists are working together to try and reduce global pollution.
* Welsh - Explore the variety of food in Welsh in the powerpoint, create a menu for a new cafe that you are going to open in Merthyr Tydfil.
The task to create the menu is set for you in Purple Mash.
* Choose something off the menu that you would like to make for someone in your house. Help make your meal with an adult. I would love to see photos.
*Music - Mrs Russell was really pleased with how much you enjoyed her music session again last week. Here is session 4 for you this week.
I would love to hear what you learnt or enjoyed most about the session. (Google Classroom)
Mrs Jones is continuing to set tasks on Charanga for you too.
Remember to spend quality time with your family and try to do something to help at home, it would be lovely if you could go for a walk with your family and discuss some of the changes in Merthyr. Discuss what it used to be like in the past etc.
If having to stay at home has taught us anything, it really is how important our family are to us. Share your special memories, watch a film, read a book.
It is also important to still exercise when you can too, so if it's dry - go for a walk, ride a bike with an adult, try Cosmic kids yoga or Joe Wicks.
Enjoy these special moments with your family and I will look forward to us all being back together in class when we can be. I am very excited to receive your amazing work and of course to see all of your smiling faces in our live sessions this week. This is our last week before half term when you can have a well-deserved rest and enjoy quality time with your families.
Mrs Jones x