Morning my lovely Year 4,
I am really looking forward to seeing you tomorrow for our first live lesson of this week, I have missed you during half-term.
I hope you all had time to rest, relax and spend some special time with your families. I will look forward to hearing all about it during our live lesson tomorrow.
We have 4 live sessions again this week. The days and times are shown below:
- Tuesday 23rd February 10.30 a.m (English)
- Wednesday 24th February 1.30 p.m. (Exploring our past - linked to Cyfarthfa Castle)
- Thursday 25th February 10.30 a.m. (Maths - Perimter)
- Friday 26th February 10.30 a.m. (Wellbeing catch-up)
You have made me so proud during the last half-term Year 4 and you adapted so well to our online tasks and live lessons. These will continue for the next few weeks and hopefully we will be back in our classroom by the end of this term. There is no live lesson or new tasks set today as it is an INSET day.
If you need any help with your log-in details or any of the activities, please let me know.
Well done to Maya R for the home learning award this week for putting 100% effort into all online tasks and for having such a mature attitude during our live lessons. I was very impressed with your love spoon too. Bendigedig!
I am available every day from 9.00 a.m. - 3.30 p.m. to reply to your messages or e-mails and mark your fantastic work. If you message me or send your work after this time, I may not reply until the next morning (or Monday if it is on the weekend). Try not to complete your tasks too late or on the weekend, it is really important for you to have special time with your family too.
This week is the second week of our Welsh heritage weeks, the tasks this week will be set tomorrow (Tuesday) and build on what we have already completed before half-term.
We will be exporing the heritage of Merthyr (focusing on Cyfarthfa Park and Castle) and our Welsh sporting heroes of the present day (we have been given Swimming to focus on).
If you have any of these tasks left to complete, especially the leaflet plan on Cyfarthfa Castle and the Swimming Google Slides, it would be really helpful for you if you could complete it today.
There is also the love spoon task which you have until Friday to complete and the CAFOD Walk for Water which you could complete with your family if you did not have chance during half-term. Well done to Filip and his family who walked 10014 steps yesterday.
Cyfarthfa Park and Castle
* Create your leaflet - In our English live lesson, we will explore facts and opinions on Cyfarthfa Castle.
We are going to use our plan to create a leaflet on Cyfarthfa Park and Castle, remember to use your ideas from your plan and your persuasive (AFOREST) techniques in your leaflet. It would be lovely to see your facts and opinions (quotes) included too.
Try to include one section on Cyfarthfa Park/Castle in the past, one to advertise how it is now and one to inform people of their future plans. You can use your title and sub-headings that you created on your plan as well as key information from each section. (Purple Mash)
You can complete this on paper if it is easier for you.
* Facts and opinions - Facts and opinions are really important to give information on Cyfarthfa Castle and Park and also to show people's opinions on it too (quotes).
All of these persuasive techniques will help to persuade the reader to visit.
These will be really useful for your leaflet. It will be fantastic if you can add your examples to your leaflet too. (Google Classroom)
* Questions for our Cyfarthfa live sessions - On Wednesday, we will have our live session with Ben from Cyfarthfa, we are going to become historians for the day and discover information about the important people linked to Cyfarthfa Castle in the 19th Century (Crawshays, ironworkers etc.)
We will also explore how Merthyr Tydfil was different at this time too. I know that you will absolutely love this session (Google Classroom).
* After our session, I will also set a task where you can create a thaumatrope (a toy which was made on the same year that Cyfarthfa Castle was built - Google Classroom).
* Maths - I will set you a task this week after our live lesson on Thursday linked to perimeter - Google Classroom.
*Mathletics - Perimeter activity. There is also a task set on Mathletics linked to the perimter of squares and rectangles. It would be very useful if you could complete this before our live lesson on Thursday.
* Crossword - Read the clues to solve the puzzle. Type the letters in the white squares to complete the words linked to swimming (Google Classroom).
* Create your own Mash cam of a swimmer - Put yourself into the role of a professional swimmer. Show their thoughts and character in the speech bubble (Purple Mash).
* Swimming Google Slides - As part of our Welsh heritage week, swimming is the sport that we are exploring.
We are creating a Google slides over two weeks. You need to access the Swimming Google Slides that you completed before half-term. I will return all of the amazing Slides that I have received.
Before half term, you should have:
- created a front cover (linked to Welsh swimmers)
- created your 2nd slide which is all about your experiences of swimming. I would love to know where you go swimming (when it is safe to go), you can include photos of you swimming (in lessons, on holidays) etc.
- created your 3rd slide all about the health benefits of swimming and why it is so important.
This week, we are going to add to this by creating a further two slides:
- research and present information about the types of strokes used and the events in swimming on your 4th slide.
- research and present information on Welsh swimmers and their achievements for the final slide.
Remember to include photos and text. You should use a title for each slide too. I loved how you made your background and font look exciting too.
Google Classroom (slides)
* St. David's Day - Explore the powerpoint of St. David. I would love for you to taste some Welsh cakes this week in preparation for St. David's Day. I have included a recipe, it would be really lovely if you could make them at home with an adult. I would love to see some photos. (Google Classroom)
*R.E. - Our new topic is Giving and Receiving - Read the story 'What a day!' on powerpoint.
What do you think of Ethan's behaviour at breakfast?
What do you think made Ethan realise that the way he had behaved at breakfast was silly?
How did Ethan feel?
How did Ethan show that he wanted to give and not just receive?
What made Ethan happy?
What do you think about giving and receiving?
What has been your experience of giving and receiving?
Create a Lentern promise - something that you can do during the 40 days of Lent to show that you are trying to make yourself the best that you can be. It could be doing something to help someone else, give something to others etc. (Google Classroom)
* Welsh - Recap the variety of food in Welsh in the powerpoint.
You created a menu for a new cafe that you are going to open in Merthyr Tydfil.
The task for this week is to choose a meal that you would like to eat from the menu - use the sentence pattern Dw i'n hoffi... to begin your sentences. Maybe you could even choose a meal that you could make with an adult. I would love to see photos. (Google Classroom)
*Music - Mrs Jones and Mrs Russell are really pleased with how much you are enjoying the music sessions online. Here is session 5 for you this week.
I would love to hear what you learnt or enjoyed most about the session. (Google Classroom)
Mrs Jones is continuing to set tasks on Charanga for you too.
Remember to spend quality time with your family and try to do something to help at home, it would be lovely if you could go for a walk with your family and discuss some of the changes in Merthyr. Discuss what it used to be like in the past etc.
If having to stay at home has taught us anything, it really is how important our family are to us. Share your special memories, watch a film, read a book.
It is also important to still exercise when you can too, so if it's dry - go for a walk, ride a bike with an adult, try Cosmic kids yoga or Joe Wicks.
Enjoy these special moments with your family and I will look forward to us all being back together in class very soon.
I am very excited to receive your amazing work and of course to see all of your smiling faces in our live sessions this week. Remember that during Lent, it is really important that we are continuing to try to be the best that we can be.
Mrs Jones x